I almost forgot about my grand plans to chip at the backlog with some ‘instagrammed’ posts.. So here’s one.
This asparagus & avocado pasta is something I’ve made many (many) times, especially on a weekday when I cannot be bothered to make something too involved. Am so glad I happened to have both asparagus and avocado in my fridge at some point, or I might have never discovered this delightful combination.
You can find me on instagram as @breadetbutter – where I post a lot more regularly than I do here. 😉
Asparagus & avocado pasta
Serves 2 (generously)
- 250g pasta of your choice (I usually use linguini or spaghetti)
- 2 avocados
- 150g asparagus (I use asparagus tips), cut into 1cm lengths
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Juice of 1 lime
- Bunch coriander (approx 30g)
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente. 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the asparagus to the pan. When draining the pasta, reserve some of the pasta cooking water – you may need it later.
2. Whilst pasta is cooking, halve and peel the avocados. Chop one avocado into small 1cm cubes, and the other into larger chunks.
3. Place the large chunks of avocado into a blender, along with the coriander, lime juice, and olive oil. Blend until it forms a thick smooth paste.
4. Place drained pasta and asparagus back into the (same) pan you were using earlier. Add the blended avocado mixture. The mixture may be quite thick and gloppy, if so, add some pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired sauce consistency. The sauce should coat every strand of pasta.
5. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Serve pasta onto plates. Top with small cubes of avocado. Other ingredients you can use are pine nuts, extra coriander, sesame seeds, chilli flakes.. An endless list really! Drizzle with some olive oil (if you wish), and eat.